Pursuant to Part 3, Division 3 of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 2019, if the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (“GBRMPA”) considers that the granting of a permission may restrict the reasonable use by the public of a part of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, we may require the applicant to publicly advertise their application and seek public comment.
This collection statement relates to the collection of personal information as public comments for that purpose.
Public comments may be made by individuals or on behalf of a group of interested persons or an organisation, such as a company or community group. Comments are made directly to us.
Personal information (including sensitive information) that you provide us in making any comment on the application is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (“Privacy Act”).
The Privacy Act provides for 13 Australian Privacy Principles that regulate how we must handle your personal information. We also comply with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) and other privacy laws to the extent they apply.
You may decide to use a pseudonym when making your comments.
Why we collect your personal information
- Your personal information is collected by us for a lawful bases (legislative obligation of assessment of permit applications) to:
- help inform our assessment of the application and
- provide context to your comments, including the location where you reside, any expertise that you may have and the section of the community that you represent.
- if we are unable to collect your personal information, we may not be able to give relevant consideration to your comments.
- who do we give your personal information to
- we may disclose your comments and personal information to:
- the Australian Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- the Queensland Department of Environment and Science
- Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
- the applicant.
We do not publish on the Internet any personal information that you provide, along with your comments. All comments are de-identified. If you are concerned that you could be otherwise reasonably identified by your comments please advise us when you make your submission. If
there is considered to be a need to publish personal information we will only do so with your express consent.
We do not otherwise use or disclose your personal information unless permitted by the Privacy Act.
How to contact us
Phone: + 61 7 4750 0700
Post: PO Box 1379, Townsville QLD 4810 AUSTRALIA