At the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, we are fortunate to work with one of the world’s most treasured natural assets. The Great Barrier Reef is a World Heritage area; its spectacular beauty and diverse marine life attracts millions of visitors each year.
Want to work with us? Find out more about working with Australia's lead agency for the Great Barrier Reef and the exciting career opportunities currently available.
Why work for us
Our people are our strength. Their commitment and dedication to our work for the Great Barrier Reef and the Australian public will have a long-lasting impact.
- We are further building our team and looking for individuals who can bring their unique skills, experience, and knowledge to our diverse and high-performing organisation.
- Help manage a World Heritage Area: For over 40 years, the Reef Authority has managed this amazing and complex ecosystem – the Great Barrier Reef.
- Lead the way: The Reef Authority sets the standard as a world leader in Marine Park Management, raising awareness about key threats to the Reef, responding to new risks and taking strong actions.
- Collaborate with committed partners: The Reef Authority works alongside other Australian and Queensland government agencies, Traditional Owners, international partners, scientists, industry, and the community to drive actions and accelerate efforts for a more resilient Reef.
- Use the latest science, technologies, tools, and strategies: The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act guides our management. We use the latest and best information to protect the values, reduce threats, build resilience, and improve the long-term outlook for the Reef and the communities that depend on it.
- Work with likeminded and driven colleagues: Whether it is working on policies that shape the use of the Reef or assessing the permits to do so; working with on-the-ground projects or telling their stories; curating the latest science and knowledge or providing the services and support for our people to do their job – now more than ever, our jobs are crucial for the Reef.
How to join our team
Find out about exciting career opportunities currently on offer.
- Your application must contain the following:
- Completed applicant details form
- A statement of claims against the selection criteria as this is an essential part of your application or as described in the position description. It should provide examples of your relevant skills, capabilities, experience and qualifications to demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria.
- A current résumé
- Please ensure you read the position description carefully, as it will give specific details on who is eligible to apply, what your application must include and how to apply.
- Include all relevant documentation for the position, including mandatory qualifications required for the position and proof of a security clearance if required for the position.
- Applications that fail to address the selection criteria will generally not be considered by the selection advisory committee.
- Failure to include relevant documents for the position, including proof of any mandatory qualifications, may result in not being considered for the position.
We are an inclusive community of diverse individuals working collaboratively with trust and respect to manage the Great Barrier Reef.
We are committed, professional public servants who are accountable and transparent, always acting in the best interests of the Authority.
We deliver meaningful and measurable outcomes by setting clear and achievable goals, managing risk effectively and accepting shared responsibility for results.
We bring our experience, skills, and knowledge to everything we do and are committed to professional growth.
A diverse and inclusive workforce
Our offices are located in beautiful far north Queensland with access to Reef, rainforest and some of the nation’s most diverse landscapes — along with a relaxed, family-friendly lifestyle.
We also have an office in Canberra and offer….. refer remote working policy if relevant.
An inclusive and diverse environment where different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are valued.
Grow your career
- We offer:
- a high-performance and continuous improvement culture
- We encourage regular performance and coaching discussions with your supervisor.
Live a healthy a life
We are committed to providing a supportive and safe work environment. We want our people to be healthy and active.
- We offer a range of initiatives, including:
- Free access to an Employee Assistance Program for help with personal and work-related problems
- Access to numerous fitness centres across the country through the fitness passport program
Enjoy quality time
We know that maintaining a positive work/life balance is an important part of staying engaged and productive at work. You may want to make more time for family and friends, undertake study or take a holiday.
- We can help you make that happen through the following:
A supportive and flexible working environment
Flexible working hours
Opportunities for part-time employment and home-based work
Generous leave entitlements
Annual salary advancement in the pay scale for your classification based on effective work performance
15.4% superannuation in addition to salary
Further information on our conditions of employment can be found in the Enterprise Agreement.
Tips and tricks:
- Check you are eligible for engagement. Refer to Eligibility for further information.
- If you have received a redundancy payment in the last 12 months from the Australian Public Service (APS) agency or a non-APS Commonwealth employer, make sure you are outside your redundancy payment period.
- Carefully read the position description and other documentation provided.
- Ring the contact officer if you have any enquiries, including the particulars of the position, the proposed selection process, the work environment and any other questions you may have relating to the position.
- If you are new to the Australian Public Service, check the Recruitment and Movement page on the APSC website.
- Read the Cracking the code page on the APSC website – this page contains tips and hints on applying for jobs in the APS.