The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority is Australia's lead manager of the Great Barrier Reef.
For more than 40 years, we've been managing this great natural icon to ensure it's protected for the future.
Our work is guided by:
- The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act 1975
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 2019
- Our Corporate Plan
- Australian Government policies
- Portfolio Budget Statement
- The Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report
- and government priorities.
- Here's how we work:
- We use the best available scientific information to guide us, and engage with experts and the community. This includes four Reef Advisory Committees and 11 Local Marine Advisory Committees.
- Out on the water, field management and enforcement of zoning rules is carried out with Queensland and Australian Government agencies on our behalf.
- We provide a number of other services to protect and manage the Reef ranging from issuing permits, providing advice on marine management, and operating our education centre Reef HQ Great Barrier Reef Aquarium.
- We report to the Australian Government Environment Minister.
- Our Board oversees the agency, which is structured into four main Branches: Reef Engagement, Corporate Services, Reef Protection and Reef Strategy.
- Our Service Charter outlines our goal, aims, customers, and commitments to those customers. You can provide feedback on these services by contacting us.
- Our Cost Recovery Implementation Statement outlines our arrangements in relation to permission system fees.
- Our main office is in Townsville, and there are regional offices in Cairns, and Yeppoon to keep a close connection with those communities.
- A small office in Canberra provides ministerial and parliamentary liaison to the Department of Environment portfolio and other Australian Government agencies.
- In accordance with Section 11(1)(ba) of the Legal Services Directions 2005, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority provides details of its external legal services expenditure for the financial year in our Legal Services Annual Expenditure Report for 2020-21.
- The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority is Australia's lead manager of the Great Barrier Reef. For more than 40 years, we've been managing this great natural icon to ensure it's protected for the future.
Created Wed, 2022-06-15 21:08
Updated 12 Sep 2022