Master Reef Guides are striving to be the world’s leading reef guides and interpreters sharing the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area.
As reef ambassadors they impart up-to-date scientific and management information about the reef and explain what people can do to make a difference.
Current nomination opportunity
Nominations for the 6th Cohort of the Master Reef Guide program closed on Friday 12th August 2022.
Selection criteria for nomination
Recognised High Standard Tourism Operators in the Great Barrier Reef can nominate suitable staff to become Master Reef Guides.
- Nominees must:
- Work for a Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority recognised High Standard Tourism Operator and/or be identified as a Great Barrier Reef tourism interpretation specialist.
- Be nominated and endorsed by a High Standard Tourism Operator.
- Have worked for a minimum of 12 months with a High Standard Tourism Operator on the Great Barrier Reef, or able to demonstrate equivalent experience.
- Have completed Reef Discovery Course modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and 10. Interested staff should request access to the Reef Discovery Course via email email@example.com and supply their name, email address and state in the email that they are seeking access to the Master Reef Guide training portal.
- Experience delivering interpretation and guiding on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Be committed to working in the Great Barrier Reef tourism industry as a Master Reef Guide for a minimum of 12 months.
- Be committed to attending ongoing training including an induction field-school (five days) and at least one masterclass a year.
What you will need before you submit the nomination:
- Before you submit your nomination:
- Ensure your nominated reef guide can meet all the selection criteria.
- Ensure your nominated reef guide has completed Reef Discovery Course modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and 10.
- Ensure your nominated reef guide has created a 2-minute video piece to camera. This must be of them presenting or guiding on a particular species or behaviour of interest from the Great Barrier Reef for example, Octopus colour, Coral warfare, Goatfish etc. This will need to be saved to YouTube using the privacy settings to share only to those nominated. If you need help with this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note: due to demand the selection panel may apply further considerations to cohort selection:
- One nomination per tourism operator, per cohort.
- Geographic distribution on the Great Barrier Reef.