Information you provide to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (“GBRMPA”) about suspected offences may contain personal information (including sensitive information) about you and other individuals.
You have the option of not identifying yourself, or using a pseudonym, when reporting suspected offences to us.
Personal information you provide to us is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (“Privacy Act”). The Privacy Act provides for 13 Australian Privacy Principles that regulate how we must handle your personal information.
This notice is for the purposes of collecting your personal information as the individual reporting a suspected incident or offence to us.
Why we collect your personal information
Personal information that you provide us about yourself may be used to assist us to:
- monitor, manage and regulate activities in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park (“Marine Park”)
- ensure compliance with environmental laws
- investigate suspected offences under the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act 1975 (Cth) (“GBRMP Act”) and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 2019 (Cth) (“GBRMP Regulations”) and
- track and record interactions between GBRMPA staff and Marine Park users.
You are not required to provide your personal information when reporting a suspected incident or offence in the Marine Park. However, your personal information may assist us to properly investigate suspected offences or perform our enforcement functions under the GBRMPA Act or GBRMPA Regulations. We will also be able to follow up with you for further information or statements if required.
Who we give your personal information to
We may disclose your personal information as it relates to the incident that you have reported to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions and if the information you provide results in Court action, we may also need to provide your personal information to the Court.
The Marine Park and World Heritage Area is managed using a multi-agency approach. Depending on the type of incident you report, it may be necessary to pass your information on to other government agencies for example:
- Australian Crime Commission
- Australian Customs Service
- Australian Federal Police
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority
- Australian Institute of Marine Science
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- Australian Quarantine Inspection Service
- Australian Department of Agriculture, Water Resources and the Environment
- Queensland Department of Environment and Science
- Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
- Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Queensland Police Service and
- Queensland Transport and Main Roads.
We will not otherwise use or disclose your personal information, unless it is permitted by the Privacy Act. Your personal information will not be provided to the individual that you have made a complaint about, without your consent or disclosure is required by a court or tribunal order.
We do not disclose your personal information to overseas entities.
How to contact us
Post: PO Box 1379 Townsville QLD 4810