Skip to main content

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority recognises the important role that research plays in contributing to our understanding of the Great Barrier Reef.

Research provides us with a scientific basis for management decisions, which helps us in protecting the environment and biodiversity and heritage values of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

The Zoning Plan and regulations set out the way research activities are managed in the Marine Parks.

The guidelines for managing research in the Marine Park outline our approach to managing research activities and key considerations and limitations in relation to research.

When is a permit needed?

Most research requires a permit issued jointly by the Marine Park Authority and the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service. Some research may be conducted without the Marine Park Authority’s written permission, provided certain conditions are satisfied.

For permit applications for restoration and/or adaptation intervention projects to improve resilience of habitats in Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, please review the Authority’s Policy on Great Barrier Reef Interventions and application guidelines.” for restoration/adaptation projects to improve resilience of habitats in Great Barrier Reef Marine Park

Research under accreditation

Limited impact research (non-extractive and extractive) may be conducted under a letter of authority issued by an accredited educational or research institution.

Limited impact research can only be carried out in General Use, Habitat Protection, Conservation Park, Scientific Research, Buffer (non-extractive only), and Marine National Park (non-extractive only) zones of the Marine Parks and is further restricted by methods and equipment that may be used and by sampling (take) limits.

Regulations 19 and 20 define limited impact research and the research guidelines outline important standards, limitations and considerations regarding limited impact research.

Accredited educational and research institutions

For information on obtaining a letter of authority for limited impact research, please contact your university faculty.

Contact us to become an accredited institution:
Phone (07) 4750 0860

Applying for research permissions

Research that does not comply with the requirements for research under accreditation requires permission. Researchers should submit their application via the online application portal.

  • Research permission applications must:
  • include the names of proposed taxa (to the lowest relevant taxonomic level) and sampling numbers
  • include information on the relative abundance of the species or habitat and the species conservation status or vulnerability to over-collecting (including localised depletion)
  • describe the level of environmental impact that may result from the research activity, including in the context of the state of the environment at the proposed sites.
  • Guidance on the minimum information required for research permissions is provided in the application guidelines and  checklist.

Permit application guidelines for restoration/adaptation projects to improve resilience of habitats in Great Barrier Reef Marine Park

Accessing resources for biodiscovery

Research activities involving access to biological resources are managed in a manner consistent with Australia’s international obligations under the Convention on Biological Diversity.

Within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, the Authority manages the environmental impacts of activities that provide access to biological resources.

Before removing resources from the Marine Park you should determine whether you require a Marine Parks permit to collect biological resources.

Please note that applications to access biological resources for the purpose of research is considered a commercial activity and may require a Permit Application Assessment Fee. Specimens collected under research permissions cannot be sold.

If you have a Marine Parks permit, you should resolve any benefit sharing agreements with the Australian and/or Queensland governments before accessing the Marine Parks to collect biological resources.

Benefit sharing agreements
Depending on where you collect within the Marine Park, benefit sharing agreements may be required with the Australian and/or Queensland governments.

The Marine Park Authority is not involved in the negotiation of benefit sharing agreements. If you are accessing resources in Commonwealth waters or on a Commonwealth island, you must negotiate a benefit sharing agreement with the Australian Government.

If you are seeking to access resources from Queensland waters, a Queensland coast or a Queensland island you will need to obtain a collection authority form and to negotiate a benefit sharing agreement with the Queensland Government.

For further information about permit requirements under the Queensland Biodiscovery Act 2004, see the relevant Queensland Government website.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Created Wed, 2022-08-24 17:58
Updated 2 Jun 2023
Was this page helpful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.